Getting started as an approval workflow user¶
Approval workflows ensure that decision makers and/or BPM experts review and approve the quality and factual correctness of a diagram before it is published in the Collaboration Hub or deployed to a workflow execution system, like Workflow Accelerator.
Workflow Accelerator is much more than just a tool to execute diagram approvals. You can automate all kinds of other processes as well. If you are interested in a Workflow Accelerator subscription, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
This article explains how to work with approval workflows from the perspective of a non-modeler user.
In case you want to configure approval workflows, read more at Managing approval workflows and contact your workspace administrator to receive a corresponding license.
As soon as a modeler requests an approval from you, you will receive an email with a link to the case in Workflow Accelerator.
Click the link and the approval task opens:
The approval task opens in Workflow Accelerator.
Now, you typically want to check if the corresponding diagrams fulfill your requirements.
Click the Show comments link to open the diagram in Signavio’s commenting view.
To get a better overview over recent changes, you can use the revision comparison. Click the Compare revisions link.
Further functionality is available in the Signavio Explorer:
Open the Signavio Explorer.
- To open the diagram again, double-click it or select it and click Show comments, respectively Compare revisions/diagrams.
- To check whether a diagram complies to modeling conventions,
- select it and click Modeling conventions (XLSX). The report is especially helpful when you conduct a formal approval with focus on BPMN quality.
- In case you want to point a co-worker to a diagram, select it and click
- Invite to Collaboration Hub.
- Start approval workflow triggers a new approval workflow case for the selected diagram.
- To get an overview over pending approval workflows, you can either click
- Show started approval WFs or Open approval task list in the upper panel. Show started approval WFs provides a basic overview in the Signavio Explorer, whereas Open approval task list opens a more detailed, filterable view in Workflow Accelerator.
Once you have finished the review, go back to the approval case in Workflow Accelerator to approve or reject the change.
In the Signavio Explorer, a rejected diagram is marked with a red X, an approved diagram with a green check mark and a published diagram with a globe symbol:
A rejected diagram is marked with a red X, an approved diagram with a green check mark and a published diagram with a globe symbol.